John A. Tamplin wrote:

1.5 did not have altnamespace, it was always INBOX.Trash etc.

What exactly is the problem with having \Noinferiors set on INBOX? In altnamespace, it does not have any subfolders. Ie, if I have user/jtampli and user/jtampli/test, that will show up as INBOX and test, and test is not a child of INBOX. What client has a problem with this arrangement?

None so far. It's when I have it switched around that they can't see it. It seems that the default behavior changed since 2.0.16. I would use that version, but I couldn't get lmtpd from that release to listen.