Daniel Qian wrote:

It confused me by putting all databases using BDB under a imap directory.

Read the documentation at sleepycat -- the logs are per BDB environment. In this case, it protects only the various BDB files used by Cyrus.

Anyway I am more concerned about a proper way to backup all my mailbox messages. It seems to me that I can backup the content under these directories:
/var/imap ; where my mailboxes.db resides
/var/spool/imap/user ; suppose I only care about the messages already in user mailboxes

So even on a newly installed empty system resulted from a system crash I would still be able to recover everything in mailboxes simply by copying back these backup files to where they are before the crash and run a reconstruct.
Correct me if I am missing anything.

Correct, although you might care about the BDB logs if the mailboxes.db was corrupted due to the crash. Personally I like dumping the mailbox list to a text file just before the backup as a belt-and-suspenders safety net.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931