Pascal Gienger wrote:

I am using Cyrus IMAP 2.1.12 (Suse Linux package, no source install allowed here), and we see some errors from lmtpd saying "Virtual memory exhausted".

ulimits are unlimited for every resource (no limit), and there are 4 Gigabytes of swap used by 5% and 2 Gigabytes of RAM.
System is GNU/Linux 2.4.20-64GB.

Our postfix mailer tries to deliver a message to a local lmtpd (Cyrus system) and here is the result:

Jun 30 07:38:43 rauch postfix/lmtp[3129]: EC7FD4400088: to=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, orig_to=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, relay=/mail/cyrus/socket/lmtp[/mail/cyrus/socket/lmtp], delay=142730, status=deferred (host /mail/cyrus/socket/lmtp[/mail/cyrus/socket/lmtp] said: 421 4.3.0 lmtpd: Virtual memory exhausted (in reply to end of DATA command))

Has anybody seen this already? Which memory lmtpd claims to be exhausted?
With no process limits at all?

What version of DB are you running? Does this happen immediately or only after it has been running a while? On Solaris 9 with DB 4.1.24-25, we had a problem where DB functions would eventually return ENOSPC, which might be interpreted as "Virtual memory exhausted". There has been a patch posted to Cyrus to fix this problem, but if you can't use a source package you might have to downgrade to DB 4.0.14 if this is your problem.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931