Rob Siemborski wrote:

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, James A. Pattie wrote:

        I've searched the archives and have not found any e-mails talking about
adding the XSERVERINFO extension which is needed to make mozilla mail
show the "permissions" button when viewing a folders properties.
Apparently if the imap server supports the XSERVERINFO extension and
returned a url for the MANAGEACCOUNTURL argument they then provide the
button which justs opens a browser window and surfs to the specified url
so that you can then share the folder, etc.

So, uh, why can't the clients just implement the standardized ACL
extention and take care of manging the folders that way?  Having a website
URL to manage the folder ACLs sounds like a hideous hack.

        I'm looking to add the XSERVERINFO extension to cyrus imap and was
wondering if anyone else has worked on this or has any desire to see
this feature added.  I'm planning on adding it like the X-NETSCAPE
extension was done so that the user compiling cyrus imap has to
explicitly enable it.

As it is the X-NETSCAPE hack is pretty ugly.  Its basicly only there so
that older netscape IMAP clients won't claim that the server is
*defective* when it doesn't advertise a *nonstandard* extention.  For
example, see the following urls:

http://www.washington.edu/imap/listarch/current/msg00234.html
http://www.washington.edu/imap/listarch/current/msg00235.html

With no specifications to go on, I'm really hesitant to even begin to
think about adding another such non-standard extention.  If clients really
think there is a demand for this, I encourage them to pursue such
extentions through the IETF.

I actually have the spec that John Myers posted a few IETF back. I believe that both he and Chris Newman haved stated that this private extension to Netscape's server products is (or should be) deprecated. Its a shame that the Mozilla code has left this cruft floating around.

Its surprising that Sun/Netscape's client doesn't support the ACL extension given the fact that its author works for them!

I agree that any effort in adding this non-standard extension to Cyrus would be misplaced. I'd suggest that if you want to contribute to an open source project, that you add the documented ACL support to any of the clients that you mentioned.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127