For what it's worth, I spoke with an employee of Sendmail, Inc. about eighteen months ago. At the time, for their MUA they were using an old 1.x.something version of Cyrus-imapd that they had been patching and maintaining for some time, but of course it uses a very similar storage format to current Cyrus releases. He told me that they always recommend that their customers use ReiserFS when running Linux.

ext3 is great for reliability, and if your server is powerful enough for the number of users you have it may not matter. But moving a Cyrus server from ext3 to ReiserFS or XFS will almost certainly give you some performance increase.

ext3 in the Linux 2.4 kernel starts bogging down when you have a very large number of files in a single directory, such as a large Cyrus mailbox folder. It doesn't support directory indexing like ReiserFS, JFS, or XFS do, though I think in the Linux 2.6 kernel, directory indexing is an optional ext3 feature...

-Jules

Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:
Hello all,

I am having around 2000 users on my cyrus server ( redhat 9.0 )
someone told be I should reformat my partition in Reiserfs rather that ext3 and I will get a great perlformance improvement

Is that so
Thank
Ram

-- Jules Agee System Administrator Pacific Coast Feather Co. [EMAIL PROTECTED] x284