>>> trichard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 02/18/04 04:32pm >>>
--snip--

>NOTE: The user "test" in this case would be indicative of a normal
mail
>user.  Cyrus of course is for administration purposes.
>
>Does this look right?  I am concerned that including the hostname
"post"
>in the realm for the cyrus user and NOT including it in the realm for

>the test user will cause problems when creating mailboxes, etc. Should

>the administrator for cyrus (i.e. user cyrus) by in the same realm as

>the users or hostname.realm?
>
>Thanks again for all the help...I am supposed to complete this project

>today and am doing everything I can to figure this out in between your

>posts.
>
>Thanks!!!
>
>-trichard

Sorry, I didn't read to the end.

If you run cyrus-imapd without virtual domains, everything from the "@"
should default to the machine's host name. I have one machine not using
virtual domains, and hosts mail for domain2.org, domain1.com,
domain(...).com; there are 6 on that machine. _All_ of the users have
[EMAIL PROTECTED] in /etc/sasldb2. The users login with just
the "username" part and all of the mailboxes are in the same directory
(/var/spool/imap). To create a mailbox in cyradm, you use "cm
user.mynewmailbox" (since you are not using the unixhierarchysep). If
your machine hosts mail for mydomain.com, myotherdomain.com and
theirdomain.com, any mail sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] will
be delivered to mynewmailbox (if your MTA passes it along -- there are
ways to block incorrect addresses, but we are talking about cyrus
here).

One caveat, however; and this is somewhat of an error in my previous
mail (about omitting the "-u" option on the saslpasswd2 command); if
your machine does not return the fqdn from a "hostanme" (actually, a
gethostname (2)) command (SuSE is one that returns only the local name),
you _do_ need to use the "-u", and it should be set to the fqdn of the
machine.

I had spent some time trying to make it so that users would use their
e-mail address as their login, but gave up and just used the above
method. Now that I am converting the machine for virtual domains and to
use LDAP for authentication, all the users will have to change. Oh well
... .

Mike.
---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus