Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:

-- Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> is rumored to have mumbled on Mittwoch, 25. Februar 2004 17:39 Uhr -0300 regarding Re: Performance question...:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Rob Siemborski wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> First, you need DB4.2 if you have anything SMP or multithreaded :)

Ummm, we've successfully used Berkeley DB on SMP systems since DB3... Is
there a reference to what problems this causes anywhere?

Cyrus is way too well behaved to cause DB lockups, I think ;-)  Anyway,
I have never seen a bdb 3.2 lockup in my life, and so far, that's what
I've been using with Cyrus.  It seems to handle quite well the lack of
extra DB environment configs, too, which I am _not_ sure DB 4.x would.
As I said, it certaily doesn't work that way for OpenLDAP.

For 4.0 and 4.1, search the OpenLDAP ML, and you will get a huge ton
of reports.  Maybe it is a Linux-only issue, but I am not sure about THAT
one.

We've been running 4.0 in production with 30,000 users under Red Hat AS 2.1 on a 4-processor machine, but only deliver.db and tls_sessions.db use it. I haven't noticed a lot of problems. Of course there are some aborted lockers, but not too many. Following the recommendations on the OpenLDAP site I just created a DB_CONFIG file to increase the cache size to 1 MB, but I wonder if that's going to be noticeable ...

FYI, I just added a berkeley_cachesize option to CVS, so you can set this in imapd.conf instead of DB_CONFIG.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus