On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, John Madden wrote:

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:53:07 -0500 (EST)
From: John Madden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: best filesystem for imap server

I think they use capacitors that will hold enough charge to allow
flushing the buffers to disk when there's a power loss.

And another set of caps to keep the spindles spinning so that data can be written? I'm not yet willing to buy the bridge you're selling. :)

10 or so years ago when the drives had significantly more rotating mass and significantly lower data density there were (high-end SCSI) drives that could use their rotational energy to power their electronics to write the data and adjust the dataclock as the spindle slowed, but I don't think any drive does this anymore.

David Lang

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so
simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make