I suspect that this is caused by my setup.

Quite possibly, I'd guess we'd have seen it before if it were a general issue, but...

number of things including openldap, cyrus-sasl, heimdal-kerberos,
openssl and what I perceive to the problem, sleepycat db-4.2.52 (+ a
couple of patches for openldap transactions).

Ok, but,

# rpm -q db4
db4-4.1.25-8

if your LD_RUN_PATH wasn't set usefull you could be linked against one set of libraries at link time but finding the other at runtime, depending on the names of the libraries.

anyway...
since any and all attempts to run quota segfault, I have included the
end of the stream of an strace on the command which may help someone
tell me what I need to do

I'd suggest (assumes csh, since guess what I use;-)

1)  strace su - cyrus -c '/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/quota -f'|& grep ^open

should tell us exactly which shared libraries are being used and for that matter what else is opened.

2) su - cyrus -c 'gdb /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/quota' and then at the gdb prompt,
run -f

and see if you get at least function names in the backtrace.

---