Amos wrote:

What sort of changes did you have to make?

We just had to change map_refresh() to call mmap() with MAP_PRIVATE instead of MAP_SHARED. Since mmap() is being called with PROT_READ anyway, this doesn't affect the operation of the application since the mapped region can never be updated. Veritas CFS was not very efficient about maintaining cache coherency across all cluster nodes when we were using MAP_SHARED. Everything worked, but under heavy load it became extremely slow.

We're planning on doing something similar with Sun Cluster. Why Sun Cluster? Well, it's the only cluster environment that WebCT supports, and managing two completely different clustering technologies would be a bit much for our little brains. ;-)

The folks who ran the upgrade project here tested both Sun Cluster and Veritas Cluster. They chose Veritas Cluster. We have a few other systems here running Sun Cluster (not related to our cyrus installation). Personally, I haven't been overwhelming impressed by Sun Cluster and I really like Veritas Cluster. I have to admit that I try to avoid the systems here that have Sun Cluster on them, so my opinion might be unfairly biased. I can also say that we received unmatched technical support from Veritas when we did encounter problems.

Thanks,

Dave
---