Nope Bill, sorry. As was noted in my thread, it looks to be a SASL issue. Because some SASL plugins require a hostname, rather than IP, SASL apparently does a reverse DNS on every connecting IP.

Maybe I'll move a request over to the SASL list to look into whether the reverse DNS can be on a per-enabled-plugin basis (thus if I only have enabled plugins that don't require reverse DNS, it doesn't occur). But my personal problem with it was resolved - I kicked my ISP in the rear and got them to fix their DNS setup. Being a local cable operator, they actually do respond to customers' technical requests (*gasp*). :D

--Scott

Bill Kearney wrote:

Would this help your reverse DNS lookup trouble?  Or will using the
unqualified name still trigger a reverse lookup?

It doesn't appear to help my situation, in that I'd like logins without a
qualified name to use just the bare username and NOT append a realm onto it.
Is this possible?

-Bill
Configuring Virtual Domains

Introduction

   Virtual domains is the practice of hosting a service for more than one
   domain on one server. Cyrus IMAP has the ability to host IMAP/POP
   mailboxes for multiple domains (e.g. [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]) on a single server or Murder.

   In order to accomplish this, Cyrus needs to know which domain to look
   in when a mailbox is accessed. There are two ways in which Cyrus can
   determine the domain:

     * Fully qualified userid - the client logs in with a userid
       containing the domain in which the user belongs (e.g
       [EMAIL PROTECTED] or test%example.net)
     * IP address - the server looks up the domain based on the IP address
       of the receiving interface (useful for servers with multiple NICs
       or using IP aliasing)

   Both of these methods are active if the virtdomains option is set to on
   (or yes, 1, true) and can be used in conjunction with one another. If
   the virtdomains option is set to userid, then only the first method is
   used. Note that a fully qualified userid takes precedence over a domain
   obtained from the IP address.