Ken Murchison wrote:

Because the frontends proxy as the user to the backend, the IMAP LOGIN command can not be used.  The only plaintext SASL mechanism that can be used is PLAIN, but you can't use it unless protected by TLS.  Looking at the CAPABILITY output above, it doesn't look like you've configured TLS.

You might also be able to fake this by running imapd on the backends with the '-p 2' option.

1. I have 2 backend servers and one proxy-cum/mupdate server. The password comes as clear text over the network (unsafe) to proxy. Then I am forced to use TLS between the backend and frontend servers... This network is safe and i dun want the overhead of ssl... Is there a way to overcome this
2. When i use SSL in the backend server, it asks for a password
/var/cyrus/sbin/master
Enter PEM pass phrase:

I dun want to enter the password every time i restart master... Is there a way
I generate a the CA and certificates with this.
openssl req -new -x509 -keyout CAkey.pem -out CAcert.pem
openssl req  -new -keyout mailkey.pem -out mailreq.pem  -days 360
cat mailreq.pem mailkey.pem > mail.pem
openssl ca  -policy policy_anything -out mailcert.pem  -infiles mail.pem

--Thanks and Regards
Ramya Krishnan
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."-Ed Howdershelt (Author)