Ross Gohlke wrote:
First, enver post your password( s ) to a public list, go change atleast

those database passwords, I don't know if there were others.

Egad! I edited that file before I sent, not well enough obviously. One
password, and it needed to be changed anyway...

I don't think PAM will follow symlinks.  Try cp-ing the file.

cd /etc/pam.d/
cp -p imap pop3

Try:

 rm pop
 cp -p imap pop

Just a thought, since your original symlink name doesn't match your copy above, and on the few PAM systems I run, the filename is /etc/pam.d/pop.

restart cyrus
restart saslauthd

# Successful login via IMAP in Thunderbird
Jan  5 11:31:28 james PAM_pgsql[23428]: (imap) user user.dom.com
authenticated.

# Same error with POP login:
Jan  5 11:31:45 james saslauthd[23429]: do_auth         : auth failure:
[user=test.dom.com] [service=pop] [realm=] [mech=pam] [reason=PAM auth
error]
Jan  5 11:31:45 james pop3s[23436]: Password verification failed

I also have imap symlinked to smtp and sieve and don't have any problems
with those services.

Would it have to do with pop3s (SSL)?
Would it have to do with pam-pgsql?
Why is pop being handled differently?