I've done some debugging and come up with some odd information.  The problem
occurs in imclient.c in the imclient_connect function.  It is calling
getaddrinfo() and getting a return value of 3, which is

#define EAI_BADFLAGS    3       /* invalid ai_flags */

The odd part is that if I write a test program that calls getaddrinfo() with the
same parameters, I get a return value of 0 (success).  I can work around the
problem by commenting out this line:

hints.ai_flags = AI_CANONNAME;

but the fewer hacks I have to make to the Cyrus code, the more confident I will
be about its stability.  Any ideas what's going on?

Larry