Well the sync_client stuff replicates both the mailboxes.db and the mailspool. I believe this is unrelated to what you want to do (it is unrelated to how you setup mupdate_config)

The 'replicated' and 'unified' are two new mupdate/murder setups in 2.3.1 and I don't know if either of them is complete or if they have been setup and tested.

Ken probably can comment more on thier completeness.

-Patrick