Sven Mueller wrote:
Hi.

I recently get a lot of spam (probes?) which is refused by cyrus/lmtpd
(version 2.2.12 from the Debian/experimental packages) because of a
missing header/body seperator. Since this happens late in the queue,
this leads to unwanted backscatter.

However, it seems to me that the standards (both SMTP and LMTP) allow
mails to consist of just a bunch of headers, without any body and thus,
without any header/body seperator.

For me, this looks as if there are two alternatives:
1) I overread something in one of those standard documents which
   requires such a seperator. If this is true, could someone please
   point me to the right paragraph?
2) Cyrus/LMTPD is wrong in denying these mails and should be fixed.

In any case, the fix to be done in Cyrus for these mails would be rather
simple: Introduce a single empty line at the end of the message instead
of refusing the message.

"Be strict in what you deliver and lax in what you expect." That has
always been a good advise regarding interoperability of software.

This was fixed back in 2.2.9. If you look at the code in 2.2.12, you'll see that the IMAP_MESSAGE_NOBLANKLINE error code is never used, so I don't know how you're getting that error.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Project Cyrus Developer/Maintainer