We use that technique already for sending people notes when they're over quota.
 That's perfect for that application because the message is (a) generated on
the cyrus server and (b) only relevant to the people with cyrus mailboxes.
What I didn't mention in my original message is that our admin people need to
mailshot groups of students and only some of them will be on cyrus so we need
something that would fit into a larger system.  I've now got enough information
that I'm confident that we could implement this for the Cyrus servers but as
our Exchange sysadmins say that they can't do the same on their systems it may
not be worth implementing it for just a subset of users.

Paul