Hi,

--On 23. Mai 2006 19:24:15 -0800 Noah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well I want to get IMAP running on my FreeBSD box and would like to have a
safe, non service-interrupting strategy to implementing it.  I am leaning
toward installing cyrus imapd.  I have some questions about how to get
things working.

1)      Can somebody please recommend a good FAQ about how-to get IMAP running
my FreeBSD machine?
2)      Are there things I should be aware of before I start the process?
3)      I don’t completely understand how IMAP works – is there a good
tutorial about this subject?
4)      I don’t completely understand how local mail delivery will change
– is there a good tutorial about this subject?

not to discourage you, but IMAP in general and cyrus-imapd specifically aren't very easy to learn. To understand how IMAP works (and some outdated information about Cyrus) I recommend this book:

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mimap/index.html>

I also found this on O'Reilly's site:

<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/10/06/cyrus_imap.html>

Anyway, IMHO you may be better off with a simpler IMAP server for starters. Check out UW-imapd and Dovecot. Don't bother with Courier, it's not a real IMAP server. Once you get the hang of things and feel you need the special advantages Cyrus offers, you can still check it out.
--
    .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK