I found a solution to this (as illustrated below and my former emails to this list):

1. Convert from gdbm to berkeley:
   - http://dcs.nac.uci.edu/~strombrg/convert-database
2. Use this to change the realm from <oldrealm> to <newrealm>
   - http://www.irbs.net/internet/cyrus-sasl/0405/0046.html

--kkruzich

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Kevin Kruzich schrieb:

Clarification below...

Kevin Kruzich wrote:

I have an /etc/sasldb2 containing around 600 accounts, in GNU dbm format. In running sasldblistusers2 I can see entries like so:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]: cmusaslsecretPLAIN
[EMAIL PROTECTED]: userPassword
[EMAIL PROTECTED]: userPassword

When I try to authenticate against (using imtest) this on a host other than greenwich I get the following:

When I move the sasldb2 file to another host (eg, "mbox"), the system we're planning to migrate to, I get the following:

S: L01 NO Login failed: user not found
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0

How exactly do you try to auth? The username is "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

I CAN add another account [EMAIL PROTECTED] using saslpasswd2 --but what I really want to do is change the domain (or realm) in this existing sasldb2.

Did you read "man saslpasswd2"? You would see to use "-u domain", which sets the realm. By default the domain / realm is the hostname where you run saslpasswd2.

I've moved the sasldb2 file to another host --and I can add an additional account there. So there's [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED] But what I'd rather do is just change the name of the realm for joe, leaving his former password intact.

Why does the realm matter if you seem to haven't it used for auth previously?

Alexander

Kevin Kruzich
UNIX Systems Administrator
Linkshare Corporation