On Jun 3, 2008, at 3:10 AM, Rudi Bruchez wrote:

Hello,

I'm using Cyrus on a Debian box, with pop3s. I found some time ago that
someone was able to place a spamming tool in the /var/spool/cyrus/
directory. I cleaned it and changed all my passwords. All seemed ok.

Hopefully you are keeping up to date with these security issues with Debian SSL and OpenSSH:

http://www.debian.org/security/2008/dsa-1571
http://www.debian.org/security/2008/dsa-1576

I figured out this week that an IRC bot was at the same place. I changed
my passwords again, and upgraded to the last Cyrus Debian package.
It looks like the cracker gained root access. I don't have the time and
window to reinstall my system. My question would be : have you already
heard of such breaks ?
The Cyrus account has shell access in passwd. Is it necessary ? Could I put it to /bin/false, and change it when I want to su to it for changing
smth ?

Thanks !

Rudi