Hello,

Am 11.02.2011 14:11, schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems):

Hi there,

(This is a re-posted message from our development mailing list.)

In our IRC channel, it was suggested to look at RFC 2821, section 2.4, quoted as saying:

"However, exploiting the case sensitivity of mailbox local-parts impedes interoperability and is discouraged."

The problem statement is as follows: The recipient is u...@domain.de, and while the mailbox name is "u...@domain.de", or even "user", the mail bounced.

Not completely aware of the full implications and/or codebase, I wanted to put the topic on switching the default to be relaxed in the case of case sensitivity out there for discussion.

Long story short; the proposal is to ship with a default lmtp_downcase_rcpt of 1.

Sound OK for me.

When chaning upper/lowercases we always have to consider character sets.
For the user part it's no problem because here only basic characters are allowed,
but what about a mailbox like:  user@BÜCHER.CH   ?

How is this represented in the store ?
Via the same IDN mapping as for the dns servers ?
If yes, then we don't have a problem,
but otherwise this will potentially cause problems in the future.

André