On 05/19/2012 04:02 PM, Stephen Ingram wrote:
On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Patrick Boutilier
<bouti...@ednet.ns.ca>  wrote:
On 05/19/2012 01:51 PM, Stephen Ingram wrote:

I'm running 2.4.13 from the invoca rpms on CentOS 5.8. I recently had
an issue with a folder in a mailbox that would not show any
subfolders. I created a new folder 'folder2' and moved all of the
subfolders to it and then performed a reconstruct on the new set of
folders and everything worked. Now I deleted the old folder 'folder'
from the file system and then (after it wouldn't go away from the
cyradm listing) used cyr_dbtool to manually remove it (and the
subfolders) from the mailboxes.db file. The old folders and subfolders
are now gone, however, I can't (using the IMAP client) rename
'folder2' back to 'folder' as when I do, the subfolders are not
visible.

I've dumped the mailboxes.db file to a flat file to look and see if
there is anything in there that wasn't visible in cyradm or using
cyr_dbtool show. Everything is as expected except there are some
DELETED.user.xxx.folder entries at the top. Are you not allowed the
create folders with the same name you've just deleted? Where are these
DELETED folders actually stored and how long does it take them to go
away? (I'm not using delayed expunge.)

Sounds like you are using delayed delete. Mine show up in
/imap/mail/C/DELETED/  . How long they stay around depends on when you run
cyr_expire and what parameters you give it.

Man page entries:

deletedprefix: DELETED
            If  "delete_mode"  set  to  be  "delayed",  the  prefix for the
deleted mailboxes hierarchy.  The hierarchy delimiter will be automatically
appended.

delete_mode: immediate
            The manner in which mailboxes are deleted. "immediate" mode is
the default  behavior  in  which  mailboxes  are  removed immediately.   In
"delayed" mode, mailboxes are renamed to a special hiearchy defined by the
"deletedprefix" option to be removed later by cyr_expire.

            Allowed values: immediate, delayed

I don't have any entry in imapd.conf for delete_mode so I'm thinking
that it's using the default of immediate. I did check the file system
again and I can't find those DELETED folders anywhere, so I'm guessing
that mailboxes.db is just wrong probably because of some bug. At your
suggestion, I checked cyr_expire and it is set to 3 days, so perhaps
that's my issue. Maybe those entries in mailboxes.db will go away on
their own after 3 days. I think I might wait just out of curiosity and
then upgrade to 2.4.16 to see if these mailbox naming issue (bug
2685?) is solved.

I wonder if there is any harm in removing those DELETED entries in
mailboxes.db if I can't find them anywhere in the file system?

I am thinking the worst that would happen is you get an I/O error if the DELETED hierarchy really doesn't exist.

Have you tried mbpath? For example:

 [root@student ~]# /usr/local/cyrus/bin/mbpath DELETED.user.whoj.4FB1557F

/imap/mail/C/DELETED/user/whoj/4FB1557F

Steve