Thanks for your reply. I agree that it doesn't really look like bug 3744.

System CPU *does* increase when the load starts to spike. It only goes to about 20 percent, but it's still a notable increase. Most of the system *appears* to be idle, but interactively you have to wait for each character you type to appear on the screen. My first assumption when dealing with a mail server is that all issues are I/O-related, but usually we would see an increase in Wait I/O when something was up ...

Cheers
Sebastian