xyblor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Shouldn't the newsrc.eld file save a list of all the available
> newsgroups, so I don't have to read the whole active file every time?

Saving the entire list of groups is a very expensive (in bandwidth and
storage space) thing to do because there are tens of thousands of
groups known to large installations; far too heavy a cost to outweigh
the small benefit of the very occasional time that one really wants
that list.  (Even on my small server, the active file is half a
megabyte.)

However, rather than using `U', you might try going into server mode,
via `^' in *Group*, and then selecting the server you want to examine
with SPC.  That will induce retrieval, and you can search and
subscribe (and preview, for that matter) to your heart's content.