Hi,
It turns out that the IMAP server I am using requires the message-id be
stripped of the enclosing angle brackets when searching for messages
like so:

UID SEARCH HEADER Message-Id "xxxx.y...@foobar.com"

Not sure who is not compliant here: Gnus/nnimap or the IMAP server?

I found that gnus-summary-refer-article and gnus-article-refer-article
could be modified to suppress the angle brackets.  That doesn't seem to
be the right solution however as I would think the fix needs to be made in
nnimap.el instead.  Can anybody suggest a proper way to resolve the
problem while allowing for article referencing by message-id when
reading news through nntp and email through imap?

Thanks,
--Peter