I have enabled Gnus Agent, and created a category called "download", and
put a newsgroup into that category. I have set the predicate for the
category to "true" and also the score to "true" (although I am not sure
if that is a valid value for score). And I have added the server to
Agent (or added the agent to the server) so it appears with agent in
brackets in the server buffer.

So now if I go in the group and read an article it downloads the article
and puts it in ~/News/agent... in a file whose name is an article
number.

So, the question is, how do I get it to download all the articles, at
least the number specified in  (gnus-newsgroup-maximum-articles ) ? If I
select Agent -> Fetch -> Group it doesn't seem to do anything,
usually. I did see it do something on one occasion but haven't been able
to recreate the situation.