Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 12:00 PM
Subject: window dates set

Greetings,

A couple updates about e-rate for the Year 2004 (July 1, 2004-June 30, 2005).

A.  In Funding Year 2004, there will be some additional eligible services for the e-rate program.  Even if you are a "seasoned" e-rate applicant, I encourage you to sign up your ICN site for one of the E-rate Form 470 training sessions (see item #3 at the bottom of this message) to find out about additional eligible services.   Listed below are the training dates that have been scheduled so far.

B.  SLD has indicated that they will be rolling unused funds from previous years of e-rate into the Year 2004 funding.  That may mean that more Iowa schools will be able to tap into internal connections funding.  As you may know, in recent years very few Iowa schools received funding for such internal connections as LANs.  I would encourage you to think about future internal connections projects you might have, especially in your schools that have a relatively high percent of free/reduced eligible students.

C.  The 471 application "window" has been announced by SLD.  According to the SLD Web site:  The window will open at noon on Wednesday, November 5, 2003, and close at 11:59 PM EST on Wednesday, February 4, 2004.  Very soon we will be scheduling the 471 training sessions and letting you know the times/dates.

Training sessions (as of 9/23/03):

1.  E-rate New User Training.  Provides an overview of the E-rate program and how to apply for funding.  Sessions are scheduled from 3:30-4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, October 8; Wednesday, October 15, and Thursday, October 16.

2.  E-rate Tool Training.  Training on how to use the new data management tool for E-rate.  Sessions are scheduled from 3:30-4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, October 22; Wednesday, November 5; and Wednesday, November 12, 2003.

3.  E-rate Form 470 Training.  Training on how to complete the E-rate 470 application.  Sessions are scheduled from 3:30-5:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 13; Tuesday, November 18; and Wednesday, November 19, 2003.

4.  We have not yet scheduled Form  471 training sessions.  Now that we know the "window" dates, we'll be setting up these training sessions soon.

If you are interested in any of the above sessions, contact Debbie Fiscus ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) to get your ICN video site scheduled.  There is no charge to participate in these sessions and no limit to the number of sites we will utilize.

Pamela Pfitzenmaier, Ph.D.
Director, Educational Telecommunications
Iowa Public Television
6450 Corporate Drive
Johnston, Iowa 50131
515-242-4180