We are toying with the idea of going all Linux (or mostly Linux - thin
clients with some dual-boot systems) at the Jr. High / High School. I
know that's not an option for most districts, but as I see it, I don't
need to purchase software ( Oh, we did buy Star Office for PC's and
Linux for $25 ), and at the present time, there are very few Linux
Viruses - that will of course change when and if Linux gets a bigger
foothold on the market. I can use cheaper machines since the Server will
do all the processing. One of the main reasons we are considering this
is the cost of virus protection - not just the cost of the software; but
the time it takes to purchase and set up the software; clean a computer
or computers of an assortment of MalWare, Trojan, Worm, etc.; the down
time of the computers, etc.

I don't know if this is what we will do or not, but the Superintendent
wants me to look at the Linux options. I know we'll need some macs and
some windows boxes, but the reality is that I can buy some bare bones
systems, throw a monitor and a bootable NIC and I'm good-to-go. Any
installs, updates, backups, etc. are all done on a single computer -
will have a redundant system running in case of server failure.

We would be pleased with a couple of labs of WinXP on some new Dells or
whatever, but we won't have the money.

js