Techs,

    Thanks so much to John and Mark for hosting the meeting yesterday and showing their technology.  The neatest part is seeing where the technology has an impact on kids.  Producing a tv program, what a valuable educational experience in every way.  And the Pathways Lab.  WOW.  Thanks again John and Mark.
    I have had requests to resend the website about Postnuke andPostcalendar again.  The URL is http://206.72.43.57/postnuke/html/  You don't need a password to view the site but you do need one if you want to do the administrative things.  The sign on  is admin and the password is aea3+5.  Don't worry about messing it up because I can restore it to original remotely in a couple of minutes.  It is all web based so it doesn't matter what type of machine is being used to view it.  I've had 4 requests for a workshop to bring a windows xp-pro machine and do the installation and get everything running.  If you're interested in setting up a machine or attending the workshop,  just send me an email.
    On Monday night our school board approved the purchase of a tabletpc and display projector for each teacher that wants one.  Our staff machines were 7, 8, and 9 years old running Windows 95.  We needed to replace the computers so every thing was on the table.  We spent a year looking at different possibilities.  We had looked at tablet pc's but decided against it because of the cost.  A month ago, we were finalizing our plans and just for the heck of it I called the GW educational rep.  They had a new tabletpc Model 275e that was half the cost of a year ago and about the same as a similarly equipped laptop.
    Our Board has never been one to blow money, that's why we have a high solvency ratio.  They understood that the tabletpc and display projector would replace the teacher's computer, tv, overhead projector and probably vcr because of streaming video.  Voip could also replace phones.  They understood that having only one instructional device would save countless minutes everyday in transition time.  They also understood how impacting instruction with technology had a higher payback than adding a couple more computer labs
    Our thought is to develop a table device where the projector would sit on one side and the tablepc on the other side.  We will make the tabletpc part movable up and down so that the teacher doesn't have to move to his/her desk to sit down and use the tabletpc.  Someone also suggested buying the staff stools that they could sit down on and not need a movable shelf.  We would attach a power strip similar to those on the back of a computer cart that would have a long power cord.  The tabletpc is wireless so no other cord is needed.  We would appreciate any feedback from anyone on design.
    I just turned 60.  Implementing the tabletpc has me more excited than I've been in a long time.  (don't go there, guys)  I have a suggestion.  Before replacing your staff computers, at least investigate the tabletpc.  We will be implementing installation and instruction shortly.  We're installing 15 units first as a debugging procedure before installing the rest in a month or two.  Your are welcome to visit us at any time.  This email got way too long but I couldn't help it because I'm all fired up!

George