-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of HASS, JOHN
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 9:57 AM
To: info-tech@aea8.k12.ia.us
Subject: RE: [info-tech] POE

The problem is that all the default security stuff (WEP,WPA,WPA2) is
easily cracked using a program called kisimet
http://www.kismetwireless.net/ it is free and works well in Linux and ok
in windows using cygwin.  I put it on my laptop and in 30 minutes I had
my keys listed on the screen (this would have been faster if it wasn't
the summer).  My keys are random 128 bit keys. I could also easily drop
kismet on and find out a mac address of someone who is using wireless
then do a:

ifconfig wlan0 hw ether (mac address here) (this works on Linux and on
macintoshes all airport series cards)

and spoof the mac so that would make mac address filtering useless.

I think for a true secure wireless 802.1x using radius is the best
option.  The problem is radius software is very expensive. I did find a
few open source solutions but haven't had time to implement any of
them.

--John
Network Administrator
OKoboji Schools