Jackie's friend wrote:
> If, say, for some reason your root pw

>is no longer being accepted, where in the prgramming/scripting would

>one go to change it . . .?

May I ask a clarifying question--Are you referring to the OS?  WS has no
officially named "Root" password.

Forgive me for the next paragraph, but I don't want to assume too much...

Depending on how you set up the OS, your alternate local OSX user may be able
to get you in. Root is seldom used in OSX to keep folks who muck stuff up--like
me--out of the system. Usually your first user is the admin user and root your
backup.

If by root you mean that WebStar's default user/password, that's trickier.  WS
may have to be reinstalled, if it's anything like the old version 3 from days
of yore.  Unless your friend has a backup admin user.

Ideally in WS5 one sets up an _OSX_ user that has specific rights to the CGI,
but no further, and a _WS5_ admin acccount that is used if and when needed.
But in the default config, one doesn't need to access anything in WS if JMC is
your only
application and page, dedicated to JMC.  If you have a backup admin user, such
as your friend, that might suffice. But if your friend isn't an admin user,
you'd have to reinstall WS to get to the admin interface.

Based on what you wrote about the restart, it might be time for a deeper
health-check on that system; file rights and hard drive health; perhaps major
surgery--backup your teachers' grades, et. al., and blow away the entire HD,
resintalling everything.
Then you'd know if your friend's server has a clean OS at the least.

Might it be the JMC CGI scripting? Probabaly not. Bill at JMC is pretty solid
about keeping folks like me out of the CGI. But if you strongly suspect it, I'd
contact bill at jmcinc.com, at that very email address.

Best of luck to your friend,

Steve Scarbrough
Technology Coordinator