Kurt writes:
>Ok, I am thinking of setting up a terminal server environment from a 2003
>server with Linux clients.
>Who’s had experience in this, and what are your impressions?

I have lived on Linux with the ICA (Citrix) client.  If you've seen Suse Linux
Enterprise Desktop, now "SLED," it comes with it. I think SuSE 9 and 10 may as
well.  Anyway, it was very easy, and very solid. I ran it from home for nearly
a year to a full
desktop on my Terminal Server.

It was way easiser than running a VPN client (can you imagine managing VPN
clients for all staff and students?), but not as easy as web access.
http://citrixweb.slcsd.org

FWIW, Citrix adds some very cool features on top of MS Server 2003 terminal
services, such as load balancing, failover, and a drop-dead awesome universal
print driver.  (Really is universal -- very cool.)  Keep in mind that there's
two major features to
consider, one is remote access across the firewall to file/print, and the other
is ROI from within the LAN.

We have been running 10 users for about two years on Citrix, and this academic
year rolled out full-time access to our business PC lab for all students... and
now we've trained staff--remote access to their files and printers. The word is
spreading to
the students, though not formally.

On that server we publish MS Office 2003, JMC Office, and FileMakerPro 8
desktop.  So 60 simultaneous users can get to those apps across the firewall or
during the day from within.  (JMCOffice on Citrix is awesome for our remote
sites.)
===
Instead of linux desktop, consider a $149.00 terminal appliance
(http://www.ntavo.com) , which can connect via RDP, ICA, or X.  It has USB and
sound, depending on the model.  So there's no more desktop management; no hard
drives, no RAM, no heat. Very
slick. Add an LCD with speakers and you've got a "green friendly" machine (uses
WAY less electricity) with very little need for support.

But these won't burn CDs. and yes, if the LAN goes down, so do the clients. We
had about 300 desktops on one cable modem once for a temporary fix when the
Internet went down for that building. Even with all that traffic, the Citrix
client worked
flawlessly.

We have saved some old PCs by doing a PXE boot to a master, (Linux Terminal
Server Project). Once booted, they can login and get all the same Home folders
as on a Mac or PC, and mostly the same applications. Firefox and Konqueror had
to be told to
masquerade as IE 6 to do JMC Attendance.)  These could also hold the terminal
client if you wanted access to the "real" MS Office or frankly, the entire
desktop on the terminal server.  And if memory serves, there's a Windows
Terminal Server client for
Macintosh.
====
If you really, really want to save some money, check out
http://www.nomachine.com/
And the managed route, http://www.safedesk.com

No machine does ONLY linux on both ends; desktop and server, whereas safedesk
specializes in the service of customizing Linux desktop to work with your
servers and directory.  If you really want Linux RDP, see Tarantella...
http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnunet/news/2126357/tarantella-unveils-rdp-client-linux
====
We are split here in SL on whether to expand terminal services. THERE IS NO
QUESTION that it offers a slam-dunk better TCO, but some of my staff like
Macintosh. A lot.

Change can be hard. Test early, plan early.

Steve Scarbrough
Technology Coordinator
Storm Lake Community School District
712.732.8100   fax:8101