I am not going to say this is a definitive ruling, but for now I am not
changing anything with regards to archiving email.
----- Original Message -----
From: "O'Connell, John [ED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Media Director's Listserv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 10:04 AM
Subject: FW: E-mail ruling

Directors

In regards to Bob's question regarding "whether or not a recent Supreme
Court ruling on archiving e-mail and other electronic messages was
required for schools?"

I asked Carol Greta the question and her first response was consider the
source.  She receives many legal publications and this is not an issue.
There are vendors who want to sell a solution that is not needed at this
time.

Here is Carol's message for AEAs and LEAs:

The ruling and the federal rules are NOTHING NEW.  AEAs and LEAs have
always been required to retain certain documents, and the electronic
nature of the document is determinative of NOTHING.  For instance, if
the email is a complaint, treat it as if it was sent by the Post Office.

There are no state laws or rules on retention periods.  The DE SUGGESTS
(but it's only a suggestion) that districts use the following guidelines
for correspondence, which are true regardless of the format of the
document:

Financial correspondence, 5 years
Personnel correspondence, 7 years post termination
General correspondence, 3 years or as long as administratively useful or
of historical value

Our Uniform Administratives Procedures manual has two full pages of
suggested retention periods.  I am (Carol) including an item in the
January SLU to remind folks of this, including a link to the UAP.

Watch for this when the article is published. I will also forward it to
you when it comes out.  Please share this message with your LEAs.

I hope this helps all of you and that you have a wonderful holiday.

John O