I remember this coming by about a year ago.  I did see a couple of sites
discuss this email if it was truly legitimate.  There are indications that the
email could be more of an urban legend due to the "Forward this to everyone you
know" type of statements.  I can not find the original site that discussed the
ICE subject but the counterpoint was something like...

   With all the different makes and models of cell phones it would not be
practical to train emergency responders how to retrieve ICE information.  They
could waste valuable time trying to locate contact info that may or may not
exist on the phone.  A far better solution would be to carry the emergency
contact information on a card that you keep with you in a wallet or purse.

Now that is not to say that ICE is not a good idea.  There is at least 1
company that has taken advantage of this concept.  I am including a link to the
site as well as some suggestions about adding ICE to your phone.

http://www.icecontact.com/products.asp?productID=8

and another link to the same site with a FAQ
http://www.icecontactusa.com/faqs.html

This company offers ICE info in several different ways.
Key Fobs, ID Cards, Car Stickers,  and Cell Phone Stickers.  Also you do not
need to rely on a subscription to take advantage of this service.  You could
create the various forms yourself and avoid the cost of this corporate
offering.  If you are serious about putting an ICE contact on your phone I
would recommend also creating some of the other ID methods.

I suspect a key fob could be created by laminating a small printed card and
punching a hole for your keychain.
Use standard mailing labels to put info on outside of your phone and car, Use
clear packing tape to protect label.
Print cards for wallet, purse, using Business Card Stock (Avery).

Disclaimer.
I am not an expert in this field, and the above is only my personal point of
view.   Please use the information at your own risk.