Brad,

We are now in the Web Hosting business as well.  I have currently 3 districts
using our solution and a few more getting ready.  We are using an Open Source
solution called 'Joomla' joomla.org.  It is a Content Management system that
will run on any platform that supports Apache, PHP and MySQL.  We host it here
for $20/month, but we can assist you to install it at your district as well.

Take a look at the following sites for examples

www.algona.k12.ia.us
www.sioux-central.k12.ia.us
www.titonka.k12.ia.us
www.nwia-e2t2.k12.ia.us

I am working on a demo site that has most of the components but not completely
finished yet.
http://207.28.111.100

For better or worse it does not use any traditional web editing software to
maintain.  The good part is that pages can be added through a wysiwyg
application through the web site. There are different levels of security:
Content Creator, Can create/edit their content
Content Editor, - Can edit their content as well as others
Publisher, - Can make content Live on the web site
Administrator - manages user accounts
Super Admin - Full Control of site.

It is fairly simple to create a template that your web site will follow.  I
recommend choosing an existing template, then modify a few graphics and CCS
entries to customize to your district.  Joomla's features can also be extended
with additional components.  Currently there are over 1200 add-ons for Joomla.
The sites above are using add-on components
Event Calendar - A Multi-category calendar
Lunch Menu - Specifically written to show school lunch menus
Photo Gallery - Organizes photos
User Home Pages - A component that allows a simple way for instructors to
create and manage their pages
Contact List - Displays staff contact information and provides web based email
submission
Local Weather
Display RSS feeds

If you are interested feel free to contact me and I can answer any questions.