Right on...

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of kmckenney
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 9:06 AM
To: info-tech@aea8.k12.ia.us
Subject: RE: [info-tech] forced updates

Oh heck, I wasn't gonna start this, but since someone else did, let's
get the show on the road...

Way back when there were at least four different versions of DOS,
PC-DOS, MS-DOS, DR-DOS, and some other flavor, I don't remember the
name. None of which were compatible with each other/

MS, whether or not they intended to or did so legally, managed to
elimintated all but one of those versions, DR-DOS which became Novell.

This did not revitalize the industry, it vitalized it turning the
computer from the pet rock of intelectuals into a genuine tool that
could be used by anyone, and incidentially made sure we all have jobs.

Over the years since these events, Microsoft has released many new OS's.
Each one required new hardware specs that followed the latest upgrades
in computer technology. Observing the latest release, vista, I am struck
by how the pricing reflect this, and am aware that the pricing along
with the development of hardware is not an accident, it is fully
intentional.

Consider this...

An upgrades will cost anywhere from $100 to $200 from any brick and
mortar or online retailer. This is to upgrade computers that are on
average 3 years old.

A new computer, with Vista installed will cost upwards of $300 for new
hardware which is almost guaranteed to be twice as fast as the hardware
you intended to upgrade with Vista.

Now, if you are planning on upgrading several hundred machines, then
certainly the price difference may suggest that the upgrade path may be
ideal for you. That is until you start determining the cost of hardware
wearing out, replacment, loss of productivity, man hours, and just
general stress.

But, to the average home user, the extra money may be a pinch, but an
acceptable pinch, and most will choose to upgrade the entire machine
rather than go with an upgrade.

If you consider the effectthis has on the industry as a whole, including
your carreers, this drives the hardware market, the software market, and
the support market.

So, I salute MS for whatthey have done to th industry, and I suggest you
should, too.