Tech Literacy 2008 Deadline - Be ReadyHello to All - I heard Alia Jackson from
Learning.com speak about their TechLiteracy Assessments at NECC in June.  I
also stopped at their booth and talked with other members of their company
including Dr. Barbara Epps, VP of Sales (They are located in Portland, OR)

This is not an endorsement of the product...but here are some facts about their
product:

1.  Online curriculum and assessment for technological literacy and integration
2.  Authentic assessment - what I would call "real" examples that students were
asked to consider...
3.  Criterion-referenced to standards...ok...we don't  any standards  yet...but
if you have seen the Model Core Curriculum you might consider them an
alternative...and Model Core for Grades K-8 is in the beginning stages
(according to our agency's High School Reform Initiative)
4.  One class-period for administration
5.  For grades 3-5 and grades 6-8...a test of what they know at this point
6.  These were the areas I noted that were touched upon in the assessment:
systems & fundamentals, database, spreadsheet, word processing, multimedia,
social & ethical issues of use, presentation software, telecommunications &
Internet use...
7.  They have a proficiency standary based upon their data of 10,000+ students
taking the assessment
8.  Does have an additional performance-based assessment for students...for
example:  the student is asked to change the top and bottom margins of a sample
document from 1.0" to .6"

Again...this is not an endorsement of their product...but rather a summary of
what I heard them say/promote.

Dorothy DeGroot