You might want to try spiceworks.  We use it for an online inventory and help
desk system.  Free(puts ads in the web interface) and web based.  We run in on
an old 2003 server.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Timothy A.
Limbert
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:23 PM
To: info-tech@aea8.k12.ia.us
Subject: [info-tech] software recommendation [Spam score:8%]

With our new 1:1 laptop program here, I am having to keep much more detailed
records of every bit of maintenance and repair done on a machine, whether that
machine was moved from one user to another, whether its battery came from
another machine, etc.  It's going beyond what I (think I) can do with Excel.

Recommendations on a good (hopefully free and cross-platform) piece of software
to do this?

---
Timothy A. Limbert
Technology Coordinator