I'm coming from an Apple perspective here, so I certainly won't answer the
original question, but I'm curious:  With Macs that are centrally-managed,
we are always told to be very cautious about updating ANYTHING during the
school year, particularly OS updates, because it might mess up management if
something changes in the app, and the management settings on the server
won't work anymore.  We update apps only after testing to make sure the
management still sticks, and we don't update the OS on the client machines
AT ALL during the school year.

A good example is iTunes.  We imaged the student laptops with iTunes 7, and
set up management so they couldn't share their music over the network, or
download anything with an Explicit label.  Then, around Xmas time, kids
started getting new iPods which required iTunes 8.  We had to test carefully
before updating client laptops to 8, to make sure the management would still
work, especially since we might have some clients with 7 and some with 8 for
a time.

Are there the same sorts of issues when managing Windows machines with Group
Policy?

And, just for the info, we use Apple Remote Desktop to push updates out to
the clients.

---

Timothy A. Limbert

Technology Coordinator