Here is the program I was looking for

http://davidp.ordinarylight.com/qm/

Windows only unfortunately, but it is a "Send Only" mail client.  You set your
browser to use this program to handle email and it does the rest.

From: Timothy A. Limbert
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 11:25 AM
To: info-tech@aea8.k12.ia.us
Subject: RE: [info-tech] Smarter Mail

Right now, pretty much everyone is using the web interface, and are reasonably
happy with doing it that way.  I use Outlook, personally, and use the
SmarterMail Sync.  The only issue we really have with using only the web
interface is when you click on a mailto link on a web page, and it fires up the
initial setup of the computer's default email program.  I'm trying to decide
whether to do it differently next  year, and set up the email client on
teachers' machines.

---

Timothy A. Limbert

Technology Coordinator