We were almost all apple before, we removed one windows lab and moved a
handfull of teachers to apple, but not many.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
Brad Kruse wrote:

Karl, was your 7-12 building Apple before you went 1:1?

>>> Karl Hehr <karl_h...@s-hamilton.k12.ia.us> 9/9/2009 5:23 PM >>>
So far there are lots of positives to the 1:1. We started a 1:1 here at South
Hamilton this year.  We went with MacBooks for all the students 7-12 (about
380). The most important thing in ANY 1:1 is professional development, the more
the better. If you can start now do so.  One of the things we liked about Apple
was the PD that we were able to have that showed our staff how to use the tools
and create truly integrated lessons.  Insurance is another big deal, work for
the best possible price for you and your users. One of the bad things is just
the sheer amount of work, there is a BIG increase in work so anything you can
do to streamline the process is going to be a big help. Also don't expect 100%
buy-in, you will not get it I think 1:1 would be a great topic for a future
tech coord meeting, since NF and SH are both 1:1 (Apple) and Poky (HP) will be
1:1 next year from what I hear.  There are lots of things to consider, far more
than anything that can be put into an email. Last bit of advice for now, visit
as many schools doing 1:1 that you can, go to NF, go to West Side in Omaha.
Also any other question I know I would be happy to answer.

Karl H. Hehr
Technology/Curriculum Director
South Hamilton CSD
www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us
515.827.5418 (W)
515.209.9767 (C)
515.827.5368 (F)

Luddite by Degrees
1) Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is
just a natural part of the way the world works.
2) Anything that's invented between when you're 15 and 35 is new and exciting
and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3) Anything invented after you're 35 is again the natural order of things
--- Douglas Adams