I just spoke to the Fire Marshall, Ron Humphrey, about surge protectors being used in schools.

He indicated that the regulation that is posted online was written for health care institutions where they may be using a surge suppressor that could get run over by a bed or crushed between two pieces of equipment and then cause problems.

He stated that as long as your device has a UL1449 or ANSI ieeC62.4 1-1980 code on the device it is ok to use in schools.

Schools can use plastic constructed surge protectors BUT are not to be using power strips without surge protection at all... anywhere.

I have included a link to the Fire Marshall's Surge Protection ruling in case you wanted to read it.

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/fm/inspection/PDFs/surge_protector.pdf

Bud Carruthers
Iowa Educators Consortium
AV Co-op Coordinator