Found this on a blog (Tom Hafemann) and had to re-post....

Jim

Hey All,

I have fixed, repaired, and engineered many computer systems over the past 17
years.  I am often learning new things.  It is a lot of fun and quite
entertaining, especially for someone who is OCD like me.  :)

Recently, something new and strange came across my desk.

It started out like a normal project.  A fairly new laptop computer that had a
bad video card.  One long beep followed by two short beeps.  As most of you may
know, laptop computers have most everything integrated onto the motherboard.
So, as I expected, I was looking at a motherboard replacement.

This was an HP dv9825nr.  As I started looking for a motherboard, I was seeing
$350ish dollars.  I took this laptop apart.  WHAT A MESS.  I stopped counting
at 60 screws, and I still hadn't gotten the motherboard out of the plastic yet.
 It took nearly 30 minutes just to get the motherboard out of the plastic.

As I talked with the customer, spending that kind of money on a repair was just
not worth it.  If you add the cost of the motherboard, labor, and the fact that
the computer is about 2 years old, it might be worth investing in another
laptop.

In my search I found some unusual repair methods, particularly geared to
motherboard repair for the nvidia video chipset and the Lenovo T41.  There is
this process called "reflow" where you heat the motherboard with a propane
torch or heat gun to fix the video chipset problems.  WTH is up with that.
Next they will be showing the process of using a hammer to fix any keyboard.

However, I saw a bunch of these articles, and after consulting with the
customer, we decided to give it a try.  After all, what was the worst that
could happen, bbq motherboard?

So, I went down to the local hardware store and rented a heat gun.  I protected
all of the plastic components with aluminum foil so they wouldn't melt and
began to heat the motherboard.  I did this for about 10 minutes.  I let it sit
overnight.

I then began the tedious process of putting this silly thing back together.  I
had to undo it 4-5 times simply because I forgot to fish some wire through or
attach something.  This is perhaps the worse laptop I have ever taken apart.

Anyway, I got it all back together and wouldn't you know it, IT WORKED.  Well
I'll be dog gone.

So now, I have a new tool to add to my computer repair kit.  1 heat gun.