FYI,

out that may run into this beast.

I have removed large parts of the original message below to protect the
innocent, but the information that pertains to my network is all there  :)

Torpig virus:  After talking to ICN and REN-ISAC, I thought I should pass this
along.
This virus starts as MebRoot.  It infected my machine (yes, I was the one)
through a supposedly clean PDF.  (I was researching a scanner, really!)  My AV
scanner picked it up, cleaned the file, and I thought all was well.  Turns out
I was wrong.  shortly following that, my machine rebooted for no apparent
reason.  No AV messages, and yes, my AV engine was running.  The reboot IS a
symptom, BTW.

After the reboot, it picked up Torpig.  I could not get my email to open, and
IE was hanging up on me, but other than that, no errors.  I did not think too
much of it since I managed to mangle IE a few weeks before this and never quite
got it working the way I wanted.  Chrome and Firefox worked as well as ever.

I ran MalwareBytes, it found 1 file in the windows /temp folder and cleaned it.
 Still could not get email, IE was OK now, but noticed now I could not run a
disk cleanup.  No errors, just would not finish...  odd,

I will skip about 3 hours of screwing around here...  I got irritated,
reformatted my machine and started over.  Got the email from Scott today and
thought it was odd circumstance.

So everyone is aware, most AV programs will miss it, or not get it completely.

MebRoot does infect the MBR, so even though you think you might get it clean,
if you did not run FIXMBR from the recovery console, you probably are not
clean.  Even then it is a good idea to run  mbr.exe from  gmer.net.

It runs through port 80, making it hard to pick up if.  Snort has a new
signature that will detect it, 2008660.  If your content filter uses Snort, you
should be able to add it.  There are some reports of false positives, but what
can we do.  This will work unitl they change it again.  The other way is
through NAT transaction (or translation) logging.  Most firewalls have this
capability.  Then we just wait for the email and track it in the logs at that
point (they give you the port number, see below).  I will be turning this on,
just in case it was another machine on my network.  (wish I had it on yesterday)

This is a good one, reminds me of the old boot sector types...

Hopefully this will save someone else a headache in the future...

Jim Kerns, Technology Director
Spencer Community Schools
23 East 7th St
P.O. Box 200