Senator Wyden Puts Hold On Intelligence Authorization Act Over Free Speech
Concerns

from the good-for-him dept

Once again, Senator Ron Wyden seems like one of a very small number of people
in Congress actually willing to stand up against bad bills that are pushed
forward with fear mongering. Earlier this year, we noted just how absolutely
ridiculous it was that Senator Dianne Feinstein seemed a hell of a lot more
concerned about punishing whoever blew the whistle on questionable US
activities like Stuxnet, then about the questionable activities themselves. In
response, she put forth some legislation that was designed to punish government
whistleblowers, rather than understand why they were blowing the whistle. This
bill got dumped into a key appropriations bill, the Intelligence Authorization
Act for Fiscal Year 2013. In other words, Feinstein basically said that if we
are to fund intelligence activities we have to crack down on whistleblowers.
Shameful stuff.

Thankfully, Senator Wyden has now put a hold on the bill, noting his concern
about how it would impact free speech issues, especially as it pertained to the
media reporting on national security:

< -- >

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121114/16415821049/senator-wyden-puts-hold-intelligence-authorization-act-over-free-speech-concerns.shtml

---