On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 11:02 PM Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 02, 2021 at 09:12:51PM +0100, Leigh Griffin wrote:
> > I'm generally all for Automation but that creates a glue layer that
> becomes
> > a thing that unless developed and actively maintained and can put us
> right
> > back at a conversation point when tech stacks move forward :)
> [...]
> > Are there any insights or quantifiable data about the impact Badges have?
> > Is it a subset of Badges that are more impactful? What I'm trying to get
> at
> > here is are all Badges equal or are a subset more valuable and hence
> > something to maybe bring to the design level conversations?
>

> I think you've got two separate questions here, and are not so secretly
> hoping that the answer to one of them will lead to there being less work
> for
> the other. I'm for less work too, so I sympathize. :)

haha my efforts here are to make sure we don't end up in a situation in
5-10 years time where history repeats itself. I'm a fan of questioning the
past to influence the future!

> But, I think they really are separate issues. We definitely want to revisit
> our overall strategies as part of this. In fact, one of the thing the
> badgeos folks specialize in is developing comprehensive gamification
> strategies, and we very well might want to take advantage of that as a
> consulting engagement. I think there are roughly three goals:
>
> 1. To help onboard new people — or folks who have been around into a new
>    team. Badge paths show what you can do next to get more involved, or
>    perhaps need to do next to get membership in a certain group.
>
>    From the message bus activity I've been watching
>    (https://mattdm.org/fedora/fedora-contributor-trends/, but soon to be
>    replaced with Josseline's new better system), we've consistently had
>    about 225 regular contributors to the project every week (and, each
> week,
>    about 100 other contributors who do some small thing but aren't engaged
>    other weeks). I'd like to double that, and to do that, we need better
>    onboarding paths.

That's a really cool hidden gem, first time I have seen it!

> 2. To reward people for things they've done.
>
>    Badges are both little rewards in themselves (the gamification aspect,
>    which we've seen to be quite enjoyable and inspiring to some Fedora
>    folks), and we can also use badge pathways to send swag packages to
> folks
>    who have reached a certain level of activity (or done specific things).
>
> 3. To showcase the activity of the project overall.
>
>    Part of the original design was meant to be tied into Fedora Hubs, but
>    that never came to fruition. We'll need to figure out another way to
>    make a showcase, but overall badges make a nice way of showing off all
> of
>    the constant activity within the project.
>

> The other issue, of glue... well, I have the pretty strong belief that
> having systems which talk to each other is what makes a lot of this
> possible. We can give badges for chairing a project meeting in Matrix/IRC
> because that connection exists. We can have badges based on Discussion sign
> up, or for helping people on Ask. We can give badges for submitting a
> change
> to docs as a PR, and other badges for accepting that PR. A lot of projects
> just have code commits and bugs from which to populate their picture of the
> world, and since we have all of this interconnectedness, we can better lead
> people to, reward people for, and showcase people's achievements in all
> these non-coding areas — as well as, of course, dist-git, koji, bodhi,
> copr,
> and so on.

It definitely makes it possible but it comes with a risk factor! Thanks for
the insight though this was helpful to talk through

--

Leigh Griffin

Senior Engineering Manager

Red Hat Waterford <https://www.redhat.com/>