They should be particulary useful w.r.t. the thread about systemd's storage daemon handling - as they allow by default complete independence from rootfs in context of starting [any] stuff inside rootfs (including one that should survive early boot).

I can have fresh version ready with minor adjustments quickly.

But, ... I see lots of patches staged around and there were no comments earlier about this approach, so any for/against now (if anyone checked them back) ?