Gerrit Pape wrote:
On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 05:35:19PM +0200, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

Gerrit Pape wrote:

On system boot all services are started up in parallel.  If services
depending on other services fail if the services they depend on are
not available, all is fine; due to the restart, they'll sort out
automatically.

Does that mean that my system will permanently try to start all network daemons when I decide that I want to shutdown the network for a few minutes?

This would happen to all daemons that terminate while network is
temporarily down, and fail to startup again, yes.

Then runit at least doesn't implement dependencies completely. A fully depedencies-aware init system should automatically shut down all services depending on network when I request the network to be shut down and start them again when the network is started.

Yeah, sysvinit doesn't do this as well. I never said that.

Best regards
Nikolaus