On 20/02/2008, at 2:33 AM, Leandro Regueiro wrote:

On Feb 19, 2008 4:59 PM, Marcin Floryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 19/02/2008, Leandro Regueiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I often use Poedit. Another times Kbabel or another. With big files it
is difficult to translate when it takes some seconds to appear the
letters you have entered.

Hmm.. would it be due to low memory. It would seem to to me.

But it should still be fairly easy to split the po file manually into
two and then merge them later.

It is an option.

However, Leandro has a point from the participation POV as well. I have noticed that new translators, in particular, are intimidated by large files.

We have much more chance of gaining participation if we split the main file into several, smaller files. The task looks more doable, less large and complex for newer translators.

Even for more experienced translators, smaller files work better. If you have an hour or two to contribute, you are much more likely to spend it translating a couple of hundred strings in a single file, which you can then complete and submit, than in translating only a small part of a much larger file, which then must lie around on your disk waiting for you to have more time to complete it, while your partial translation becomes out of date.

(Yes, I know you can send in a partial file via source control, for example, but it's not as satisfying as completing something. Also, if you have used your compendium, a partial file has a lot of fuzzy strings in it: I don't know about you, but I won't submit any file which still has fuzzies.)

I myself always translate the smaller files first, because I can get them finished and submitted and into use. I am sure that applies to others, as well. ;)

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n