Hi,
  just to clarify my position: I don't pretend to substitute the currently
used gettext .po files that are used for the GUI, but only the Wiki pages
(also, I agree with your comment about Launchpad, etc.). I strongly believe
in "using the right tool for the task". In the same way that I don't agree
with the decision that was taken to convert the tutorials to .po files for
translation, and then converting them back again to svg format, I would not
find it "logical" to convert the wiki texts to .po and then back again. I
think that that would be a waste of effort if there already is an easier way
to automate the task.

  I don't have any experience using translatewiki (yet), so I don't know if
it really would be an easier way to keep inkscape's wiki translations up to
date. Could you shed some light here?

  Cheers,